Monday, 21 January 2013

Friends with Benefits



Single and…….. Benefits?

At an all-time alarming rate us single girls were hit with the newest weapon the boys had to offer. Friends with benefits. Well before Justin Timberlake & Mila Kunis were making this sexy, we were all navigating our way through this war.
So these were the rules; you were technically “seeing” someone, you were not “exclusive”, you were not “dating” them, nor were they your “booty call”. You wouldn’t eat together, or even go in public with each other.
So I see your asking well what the F#*% did it mean?
To be honest I don’t think anyone knows what it meant. To me it was that I liked hanging around that person, I enjoyed their company and their cuddles. It also meant none of the relationship drama, no hang ups, and no worries.
But what happens when like turns to love, or when you long for their company and cuddles. Yes you guessed it drama, hang ups and plenty of worries. It really was inevitable that we would fall for some of these fools, we were blindsided with optimism, freedom and fun. I must tell you that the benefits rarely outweighed the cost.
It happened to most of us at one point or another, and 99% of the time we were the ones texting too much or trying to make something out of it. I remember one Sunday being extremely hung over eating our faces off at our local café. My friend had been “seeing” this guy for quite a few months, with high hopes that a relationship might follow, she wasn’t asking for a lot, just his time.
Half way through a bite of my scrambled eggs I see my friends happy face turn into rage as her “friend” walked in to eat with another girl. This is where the boys win….. remember they weren’t “exclusive” so why should she be mad?
I’ll tell you why boys, because this girl deserves to be taken to breakfast, because she is beautiful, sexy and smart, because you’ll never find anyone like her again, and she will never be anyone’s second choice.
Straight away we put up our best amour, talking ridicoulsy load, laughing our heads off, and generally oozing confidence. He picked up his girl, his plate and coffee and left.
WE WON.
Yes it was upsetting, perhaps slightly embarrassing and definitely enraging but lessons were learnt. Don’t do battle if the results aren’t worth it. Don’t let anyone dint your armour, and don’t fight a war on an empty stomach.

No comments:

Post a Comment