Single in suburbia.
The art of being single is the suburbs is very difficult for
most 20 something women. Love truly is battlefield these days with social
networking the major weapon. I’d like to think life was easy for our parents in
the dating world, but I certainly have not asked mine.
Myself and a few single girlfriends are always busy trying
to win this war so I thought I might tell you how it really is.
As per normal we all started our wars at around 15 when you couldn't stalk your prey on line because dial up was slower than the mail and
mum and dad always said you couldn't use the computer. So there you were in
high school dressed in your best addidas track suit fighting the good fight.
If you were like me high school was a no dating zone, no not
because I went to an all-girls school, but because I had a notorious brother,
whom everyone was afraid of. That said I grew up with lots of males as friends
that regularly disgusted me, and most I’m still friends with today.
The late teens also didn't bring much dating for me; however
my girls were out there taking one for the team. I remember late night drives
to check that he was actually “home” and many many tears when he wouldn't answer
on “MSN”. We had a few dating sites back then, but didn’t really care to
indulge. We were too busy working out My Space and Bebo.
Dating friends of friends seemed to be in vogue at this age,
ruining friendships and causing many awkward run ins at the local woollies. One
of my besties did date a good male friend of mine, on and off for years. This
situation, if you've ever been put in it is hard on all involved. At the
beginning of the brake up you are forced to choose a side, draw lines in the
sand and be ready for battle at any stage.
There were words of hate directed at the third party
involved, we never knew her and we never wanted to. We shun her on social
occasions when we were all present, and just generally pretended she didn't exist for years. I should add here that none of what occurred between my
friends was her fault…. But we didn't care; we battled for our friend and her
broken heart.
Today we all get along, in fact we all socialize at events
together, even sharing some fish and chips for dinner. Both of my friends are
happily paired and equally happy for each other. I guess we can claim time has
healed these wounds. I’m happy for them all, now the awkwardness has gone for
us.
Once again I never indulged in the friends of friends dating;
again I blame my brother for this. By our early twenty’s we had lost this fight
and found ourselves happily single and ready to mingle.
No comments:
Post a Comment